Manor House (Castle) Ralswiek
The builder of the Ralswiek Castle, Hugo Sholto Oskar Georg Count Douglas (born in 1837), came from a family which immigrated to Germany from Scotland on religious grounds around 1700.
After studying chemistry in Berlin and Heidelberg, he concentrated his professional activities on potash and brown coal mining. He discovered the potash Douglasit which was named after him and founded the “Kali and Steinsalz Bergwerk Douglashall”.
The successful industrialist decided to buy the Ralswiek estate in 1891 in order to build his retirement home above the picturesque bay of the Großen Jasmunder Bodden during a visit to Rügen where he got to know the attractive island landscape. The concept from the Berlin architect G. Stroh was for a two-storey grand building with towers in French Renaissance castle style on the Loire. A riding hall with a crow-stepped roof and four small corner towers was built at a right angle and very close to the grand castle. The park which had been there since 1810 was redesigned into a landscape park with many dendrolith rarities after 1894 and finally extended with a large lawn area which stretches from the castle to the Großen Jasmunder Bodden.
The count had already met the Belgian interior architect Henry van de Velde (1863-1957) through his professional activities by the end of the 19th century. He was to deliver the plans for the design of the great entrance hall with its grand fireplace, the elaborate wall panels and the representational stairs to the upper storey, the large salon with its wall panels and built-in sideboards, the wall lights as well as the elegant brass door handles in the present day van de Velde Room. Furthermore the design for the connecting building between the castle and the riding hall came from him.
The residence was under the ownership of the Douglas family until its expropriation in 1946. The castle was first used as an accommodation for the homeless after the land reform. Later it housed an old people’s home for several years. The German Red Cross operated a home for the handicapped here until the 1990s. The Kurimmobilien Raulff OHG purchased the shabby building after it had stood empty for many years. There was extensive renovation and restoration between 2000 and 2002. The Raulff family placed great value on the preservation of all the interior decoration details from the time around 1914. The grandsons, Count Hugo Sholtos and Count Angus Douglas, as well as his son Archibald Angus, were present as guests of honour at the ceremonial opening at Schlosshotel Ralswiek in March 2002.
The guests can expect 62 stylish and comfortably furnished rooms and three suites, an elegant castle restaurant, a terrace with a wonderful panorama view of the Großen Jasmunder Bodden, a rustic hotel bar “Countenschänke” in the vaulted cellar, a spa area with a swimming pool, saunas and a large selection of beauty and wellness offers, rooms for weddings and parties, a conference room, a generous lobby with a historic fireplace, a cosy library, free car parking and bicycle loans in a first class hotel. Every room in the castle reflects the history and culture of its location in an artistic way, reflecting wellbeing and relaxation.
The "Störtebeker Festspiele" takes place on the bank under the castle every year from mid-June to the start of September on the beautiful natural stage of the Großen Jasmunder Bodden, where guests can watch as spectators from the castle terrace.
18528 Ralswiek, Parkstraße 35