The Manor House (castle) of Ivenack

The origins of the Ivenack castle building go back to the reign of Duke Johann von Mecklenburg-Güstrow (1585 to 1592).




For himself and his consort Sophie von Holstein he had a baronial renaissance house built on the foundation of the influential Mecklenburg Cistercian monastery which was located here as early as 1252.

The first reconstruction into a baroque castle must have taken place before 1759 - 1770 as the directorial map of this year already shows the U-shape of the castle building with risalites on the sides. The teahouse and the gorgeous orangery originate from this time too.   

Around 1770 the large horse stables came into existence and in a further stage of construction around 1800 / 1810 the castle received its final appearance. In the middle of the 18th century Ivenack was acquired through marriage by the königlich polnisch und kurfürstlich sächsischen Geheimrath Helmold Reichsgraf von Plessen auf Cambs“ ( the ‘Royal Polish and Saxon Privy Councillor  Helmgold Imperial Count von Plessen auf Cambs‘).

He or his heir Hemuth Burchard Hartwig Freiherr von Maltzahn (Baron of Maltzahn) from the house of Kummerow must have been the developer of the baroque palace as it stands today. Incidentally it was ascertained testamentary at the onset of this inheritance that he and all subsequent owners would have to use the name and coat of arms of an Imperial Count von Plessen besides their own. Subsequently Ivenack became one of the largest estates in Mecklenburg (around 1900 = 7.000 hectare).

After 1945 the manor house became a home for refugees and afterwards served as an old people’s home and a home for the mentally disabled.

After  the political change the manor house had found a new owner who let the house fall into disrepair for over ten years.

In 2012 the manor was once again sold. Emergency measures of the, by now heavily damaged, building have since taken place.

Presently the new owner, who also reconstructed the manor house at Retzow, is working out a concept for the reconstruction of the house which is classified as a national monument. He is cooperating with the owner of the manorial complex of Ludorf, also regional and federal government.

The Ivenack estate is situated near the well known thousand years old oak trees, which are a centre of attraction for tourists both national and international.


Keywords: