Manor House Kastorf

Kastorf near the lake of the same name lies to the north west of Neubrandenburg. At the beginning of the 15th century the von Maltzan family acquired the estate.




In 1618 it goes to Vollrath Pleen and in 1649 the Swedish Crown enfeoffed Hans Joachim Maltzan with the estate. Followed by the von Kalden family in 1740, in 1770 by von Burkersroda, in 1775 by von Moltke, in 1841 by the Holz family and in 1881 by the Baessler family.

In the 1896 edition of The Address Book of Estates for the Grand Duchies of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz this estate is mentioned as a 1037,7 hectare property owned by Baron von Brockdorff. Last owner until 1945 was a Schulz family.

The manor house, a three storey edifice, which had been built at the beginning of the 18th century was later altered and provided with a neo-gothic appearance during the mid 19th century. Since 1998 the manor house, which is a listed building, has been in use for residential purposes.

Of the manorial complex, also under national heritage protection, remain granaries, the estate manager´s house, the coach house, and the gate pillars.

Well worth seeing in Kastorf is also the brick church which was built in 1788. On its southern side above the portal there is a delicately designed sundial.

On the northern edge of the Kastorf lake in close proximity to each other one finds actually three Slavonic fortifications from the 7th to 12th century.


Keywords: