Manor House Jarnitz
The manor house is a two-storey rendered building with superimposed plastered brick frontage on a foundation of rubble masonry, with hipped roof and dormer window.
The house was built in approx. 1780 and has been altered several times. After the family of Count Douglas and the von Massow family farmed the grange until the end of the war, the estate was used as a multi-family house in post war times. Towards the end of 1999 Frau Ute Matthiesen (degree in engineer architecture) and Herr Harald Höfli purchased the manor house of the TLG Rostock together with the former coach house and part of the wing-extension which faces the street.
TLG Rostock a fiduciary property services company which is part of the Treuhandanstalt. As of 1 July, 1990, the day of the currency change in the former GDR, all state-owned enterprises were converted into limited liability companies and stock companies the shares of which were held by the Treuhandanstalt. The most important task of the Treuhandanstalt was to privatise the assigned enterprises therefore acting as fiduciary.
Matthiesen and Höfli restored the house radically inside and out during the years 2001 / 2002. Over the years the manor house had seen many intense alterations inside and accordingly could be regarded near enough ruinous on the outside. At times five families with approx. 30 people lived in the house. Throughout the restoration great emphasis was placed on true historical reconstruction. Restructuring procedures proofed to be quite difficult as ground plans and graphical materials were not available at all. Merely one picture postcard from the year 1934 was at hand which shows the front of the manor house. This served as a template for the configuration of the frontage, the window surrounds, and the rustication, also for the roof covering, the folding shutters on the main entrance door and the arrangement of the staves in the windows.