Manor House Ducherow

For many years, part of the Ducherow region was owned by the dukes, whereas the other regions belonged to the knighthood.




These were the von Schwerin family, with some shares owned by the von Lindstedt family during the 17th century. Around 1730, the Prussian government sold its share of Ducherow to general lieutenant Kurth Christoph von Schwerin, placing the whole of Ducherow in the possession of the dukes.

The manor house, a two-storey plastered building with a kerb-hipped roof, was built by the von Schwerin family in the mid-18th century and redesigned towards the end of the 19th century. During the GDR period, the façade was massively altered and robbed of every jewelry. Massive wall panels with set pillars and ceiling decorations, as well as a staircase with strong Baroque balusters have been maintained in the entrance hall.

Before 1997, the manor house, which is situated in a small park, was used as a nursing home.

It is now in private hands. Initial restoration measures had been discontinued. The plan was to transform the manor house to apartments that are tailored to the needs of the elderly. On the southern side of the church that was built in the 15th century is a Classical wall grave of the Schwerin family.

Ducherow is mentioned in Hans Falladas novel that was published in 1932, “Kleiner Mann – Was nun?” and is where Johannes Pinneberg, a novelist, used to live and work. It is also where he married his wife, Emma, the “little lamb”.


Keywords: