Manor House Klocksin

Klocksin is situated on the edge of the Klocksin Lake District half way between Teterow and Waren. Behind a chestnut avenue a granite framed driveway leads to the  entrance of the manor house.




During the course of conversion works around 1830 the originally baroque style building was re-designed into a neo-classical type edifice. Of this little was preserved because during the times of the GDR (German Democratic Republic)  the stucco decorated façade had to give way to unadorned plasterwork, the balconies and the roofed entrance area were removed. Joined on to the right gable end is a one storey building above a vaulty cellar, on the side towards the park a large patio is located which allows a marvellous view into the park.

Up to the 14th century the estate belonged amongst the properties owned by the von Linstow family. Christoph von Linstow pledged the seisin to Gabriel von Bassewitz. From 1782 on the Frisch family were the owners (from 1820 on the family was called von Frisch).

One hereditary lord of the manor at Klocksin was Ewald von Frisch. He was committed to the idea of democratizing all social circumstances. Within a society every individual should also be able to design and determine their own individual living conditions. In several writings he stated his ideas, among other things, about a reform of social conditions in Mecklenburg especially regarding the agricultural labourers. Ewald von Frisch was a member of the Communist League and a fellow campaigner of Karl Marx.

In 1933 the estate had to be sold to the Mecklenburgische Siedlungsgesellschaft" (a settlement organization), and was divided into 12 new farmsteads. The remainder of the estate went to Dr. Otto Grambow, the last tenant up to 1945 was Herr Krüger-Crusius. During the times of the GDR the manor house experienced the common practice use of accommodating the municipal office, a library, a kindergarten, a doctor´s surgery, and a hairdresser. This was amended with the political change in Germany. From 1992 on the manor house, which is owned by the community, stood largely empty. Around 2000 the roof was reconstructed.

Behind the manor house extends a rambling park which leads to the Flacher See (shallow lake).  The lime tree lined avenue leads you to a chapel which was built around 1900. According to an entry in the church register of Kirch Grubenhagen Diedrich von Frisch and his wife Franziska nee Winter were buried here in the newly built burial chapel on October 3rd, 1826.

Between the park and the lake, behind the chapel, a cemetery for unknown fallen soldiers of WWII was created after 1945.


Keywords: