You are here: Homepage > Castles > Grambow

Deutsche Website

Deutsche Website

Castle, Manor House or Farm House?

Castle, Manor House or Farm House?

Information about the classification castle, manor house or farmhouse. Surely you must have asked yourself by which criteria we sorted the listing of manor houses and castles.

Castle or Manor House

Two new castle-calendars 2018

Two new castle-calendars 2018

Informations & ordering

Calendars 2018

Schloss Grambow

Schloss Grambow was originally constructed around 1840/45 as a home for the Jacobson family. It was designed by architect Carl Adolph Hermes as a large, two-and-a-half storey building with 15 windows along its width, overlooking a park.

A straight flight of stairs sideways to the house led from the first floor down into the park, and an unusual square, pavilion-type structure rose from the centre of the flat roof.

The stately home took on its current appearance following alterations carried out in 1906/08 for Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV under the supervision of court architect Emil Liss. Instead of the outside stairs, a ground level door reached through a round-arched porch provided access to the park. A balcony was added to the central avant-corps on the courtyard side, and the flat roof was transformed into a high double-pitch roof.

Gut Grambow, the farm on the estate, has changed hands frequently over the years. The von Halberstadt family passed it to the Lepel family, in 1766 it was taken over by a Swedish family called Thomson, in 1803 it passed to Heinrich Függe, etc. Before the outbreak of World War I, Gut Grambow was bought by the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg, who kept hold of it, along with PlüschowZickhusen and Raben Steinfeld, even after his abdication in 1918. Up until 1945, Grambow (both the house and the farm) were part of the Grand Ducal estate managed centrally from Schwerin.

After 1945, the house was used until 1989 as a training centre for the Communist youth organisation Freie Deutsche Jugend, and renovated shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall.  

Ownership before 1945:

until 1766

von Lepel family


Heinrich Andreas Flügge


privy finance councillor Israel Jacobson


councillor of the demesnes Karl Alfred Diestel


Grand-ducal demesne chamber
1938: Grand-ducal Friedrich Franz