Manor House Zühr

Zühr lies to the West of Hagenow. The land belonged to the Züle family since the 14th century. About 1740 the Saxon-Polish Field Marshall Thomas Friedrich von Züle had the two storey manor-house built.




The front of the house was a half-timbered construction, while the back, towards the park, was brickwork.

The property was bought in 1830 by the von Graevenitz family, whose coat-of-arms (three oak leaves on a branch) can be seen over the entrance door. The renovations that were carried out in 1863 included the addition of a veranda to the back (park side) of the house. The von Graevenitz family sold the property in 1930 to a land settlement society. While the National Socialists were in power the house was used by the League of German Girls (Bund Deutscher Mädel). At the end of the Second World War in 1945 a chapel, devoted to St. Joseph, was built within the house. Thereafter the house was used by the Catholic Church as a retirement home for the aged. Today it is run by Caritas (living and working together).

Inside the building, the rooms and their interior decoration have remained mostly intact. In the sophisticated park and well maintained landscape laying behind the house, there is a small lake. Located on an island is a well preserved hill tower which can be reached by a bridge from the shore.

Weitere Informationen:  www.caritas-mecklenburg.de


Keywords: