Deutsche Website

Deutsche Website

Recommend us!

Recommend us!

Verlinkungen


Two new castle-calendars 2018

Two new castle-calendars 2018

Informations & ordering

Calendars 2018


Warbelow Manor House

On the northern edge of the city of Gnoien a road leads to Warbelow.  The manor house here has been just “half a house” since a fire broke out in 1952.




The first house apparently appeared in the second half of the 18th century, commissioned by Johann Wilhelm Graf (Count) zu Rittberg.  The counts zu Rittberg were originally a Westphalian noble family.  They owned the estate until 1878.  That year Wilhelm Otto became the owner, followed by Ulrich Otto.  At the beginning of the 20th century the estate changed hands again, going to the Wildfang family.

The rebuilding of the house began even before World War I.  The plan was to renovate the house in two phases:  first, the east wing, followed by the west wing with the staircase.  The first phase was completed, but the second was never begun after the confusion of the war.

After World War II in 1945 Hans Wildfang was dispossessed by land reform, and several families moved into the house.  In 1952 a careless resident emptying the ash hopper caused a fire that destroyed the west wing and staircase, the oldest part of the house.  The solidly constructed east wing was saved and continued to be used as rental property.  Also in the house was the cooperative store, and the great hall was available for all manner of celebrations.

After German reunification the residents moved out.  The house was taken over by an investor who carried out the first renovation of the ceiling, walls, electrical system, and heating apparatus.  Another fire in 1999 damaged the roof, the windows, and the interior.  The damage was repaired but the building now went through several owners and remained empty; in the following years it was heavily vandalized and suffered extensive materials theft.  Woodwork thieves ripped out the parquet floor, stairs, doors, and even the doorframes, with no one concerned about these depredations.

In late fall 2013 lenders foreclosed on the property.  Since then it has been owned by the Schweikart family and has been restored once again.  In the now occupied house a holiday let can be rented and the hall is available for all types of gatherings.

Of the former agricultural buildings a massive stable block is still extant. 

Behind the house is a small park, once more well tended.


Keywords: