Manor House Rederank

The Rederank manor house is located in the small romantic village of Rederank, 20 km west of Rostock. The estate was a fief of the von Preen family for several centuries.




In the 16th century, Jasper (Caspar) von Bülow is said to have been the Lord of Rederank. At the end of the 19th century, the estate was acquired by merchant Wilhelm Alexander. He built the Neo-Renaissance castle before 1892. This type of building was typical among wealthy bourgeois of that time. In addition to the centuries-old nobility of von Oertzen, von Bassewitz, von Maltzahn, and others, more and more bourgeois estates were established in Mecklenburg, and new representative buildings were erected as a sign of their dignity and prosperity. For instance, the Rederank manor house was built and furnished according to the Roman villas of the ancient world. Its characteristic features include the pompous entrance hall with the pillars, the richly articulated stucco façade, the stone-like decorations in the vestibule, and the stucco frames in the salons. The interior of the house was decorated with richly ornamented chimneys, fine woods for the parquet, and fine woodwork in the dining room. The stone staircase is covered with marble tiles and modeled in black to resemble granite. Red carpets and velvets in the handrails emphasized the elegance of this staircase in the past.

In 1998, the municipality sold the manor house. The new owners have extensively renovated the listed monument, which is one of the most representative cultural monuments in the district of Bad Doberan since 1999. During the renovation work that was greatly supported by the “Förderprojektes der Deutschen Stiftung Denkmalpflege” (a German foundation for the preservation of monuments), the ceiling was restored to its original form with the historical slate ceiling. The project also made it possible to have the ceiling of the large hall painted based on the work of a famous Italian artist. Today, it has been restored completely to its former beauty.

The manor house also has a park filled with roses and healing herbs.

The manor house was sold to a new owner in 2009 and can no longer be rented.


Structure of ownership pre 1945:

1622-1800

von Rabe family

(1778)-1787

the heirs of lieutenant von Rabe

1787-1800

captain Joachim Iven von Rabe

1800-1801

valet de chambre Friedrich Ludwig Count of Oeynhausen

1801-1808

chamberlain Friedrich Wilhelm Count of Oeynhausen

1808-1810

Mr. Ditmer for the creditors of Counts of Oeynhausen

1810-1811

Johann Heinrich Ziemssen

1811-1812

the heirs of Johann Heinrich Ziemssens

1812-1839

councillor of commerce C. H. Erichson

1839-1867

Carl Erichson

1867-1887

Theodor Ludwig Heinrich Eggerß

1887-1901

Albert William Alexander

1901-1945

Friedrich Strack


Keywords: