Moated Castle and Manor House Liepen near Malchin

As early as in 1337 the Hahn family was enfeoffed with the Liepen property and for centuries it belonged amongst their estate possessions.




The moated castle Liepen was erected during the 15th century as a knight´s seat, feudal estate and fortification. The castle complex consisted of a main building, whose cellars are still extant, adjoining annex buildings, the inner castle courtyard with the well, all encased by a defence wall. A 30 metres wide and up to three metres deep moat, which in parts was artificially laid out, safeguarded the complex which could be reached across a bridge.

During The Thirty Years War the castle already deteriorated and around 1700 a baroque style manor house was built above the cellar vault.

Past 1945 the building was predominantly used for residential purposes.

From 1990 on the ancient masonry stood empty until extensive restoration work began in 1996. Subsequently the building was used by the Denkmalpflegehof (yard for the preservation of historical monuments).  They retrieved and refurbished historical building material for future re-use in historical buildings. The yard later closed.

North of the castle complex a neo-baroque style manor house, which was built at the beginning of the 20th century, is situated in a small park.

Today

Since February 2015 the Hahn family is again in possession of the moated castle and runs from here the Hahnsche Gutsmanufaktur (Hahn Estate Factory). The family of Count and Countess Hahn von Burgsdorff privately reside there too. In the estate shop one can taste and buy the speciality of the Gutsmanufaktur, the ´Alte Pomeranze", which is an agreeably bitter aromatic liqueur made from bitter oranges. Cultural events are organised and the premises can be hired for private parties, festivities, or seminars. The island and the park are open to the public and they invite visitors to stay for walks and relaxation. On special occasions there are guided tours.


Keywords: