Manor House (Castle) Kartlow

Kartlow Manor was built between 1853 and 1858 modelled on the French renaissance castle of Chambord according to plans by Friedrich Hitzig, the Schwerin court architect.




The developer was Woldemar von Heyden. The Kartlow estate was in possession of the von Heyden family from 1292 up to the expropriation in 1945.

After the war the manor house was used for residential purposes, it also accommodated a school hall and the co-op shop, however it gradually fell into disrepair. Rehabilitation works, which had begun during GDR times, were continued after 1990. Striking inside the building are the remaining wall paintings of the entrance hall.
The manor house found new owners who renovated the property extensively inside and out. A new wellness and swimming pool area was added to the building. Since the restoration Castle Kartlow is used solely as a private residence.

The estate buildings have also been refurbished by now and are in use.

The extensive park area which was created based on designs by the garden architect Peter Joseph Lenné was established at the time of the castle being built. Due to subsequent wrong use in later times the park unfortunately showed a very much changed structure which has now been cleared up. Nowadays the park is again in well groomed condition too.


Keywords: