Manor House (Castle) Karow near Plau

In the village of Karow, to the north of the town of Plau there are two manor houses of different eras situated right next to each other in the midst of a generous romantic landscape park.




The older edifice, which is a broad neo-classical rendered building, originates from the beginning of the 18th century. The South wing includes a triaxial central risalit with a triangular pediment, the structuring of the façade is taken over by four colossal pilasters. The initiators of the building contract were Herr von Reden and Baron von Lauthe. Previous owner of the estate was the von Hahn family and from 1812 up to 1898 the von Cleve family. In 1898 the Berlin industrial magnate Johannes Schlutius took over the property. Around 1906 he had the representative neo-baroque new building added on to the older manor house according to plans by court architect Ernst Eberhard von Ihne. On both the northern and the southern part the building shows a triaxial central risalit each with a balcony and cambered art nouveau gables, on the western side there is the the main portal also with risalit and shield with coat of arms. During WW2 the manor house was used as evacuation accommodation for a grammar school from Rostock and also by the Reichsarbeitsdienst (National Labour Service. The Reichsarbeitsdienst was an institution set up in Nazi Germany as an instrument to combat unemployment.) Past 1945 the Schlutius family was expropriated and the manor house served as a military hospital, as refugee accommodation, a boarding school, vocational college, and a hostel for apprentices.

After the political change in Germany the building was predominantly used by the community.

In 1998 the Heuer family purchased the manor house and opened it in 2007 as a hotel, after extensive renovation and restoration accurate in every detail.

Weitere Informationen: www.schloss-karow.de


Keywords: