You are here: Homepage > Coats and Family > von Maltzahn

Deutsche Website

Deutsche Website

Recommend us!

Recommend us!

Verlinkungen


Two new castle-calendars 2018

Two new castle-calendars 2018

Informations & ordering

Calendars 2018


The von Maltzahn Family

The Maltzahn arms depict the heads of two hares and a grapevine with three leaves; its colors are blue, gold, and red. The oldest historical source for the existence of the Maltzahn family is a document dated 1194.



The various branches of the family bore the name Moltzan from 1270 until the late middle ages. The spelling Maltzan first appears at the beginning of the sixteenth century. The Maltzans were raised to the status of barons of the Empire in 1530. The Pomeranian line of Helmuth von Maltzahn of Kummerow was also granted a barony with the additional right to bear the title count of Plessen. Over the centuries the Maltzahns came to possess fiefs throughout Mecklenburg and West Pomerania, and by about 1500 were counted among the richest and most powerful families northeast of the Elbe.

In 1900 the Maltzahns possessed lands in Mecklenburg, West Pomerania, Silesia, Brandenburg, and Poland with an area of 44,219 hectares or 442,190,000 square meters.

With the end of the Second World War in 1945 all the Maltzahn properties, comprising a total area of 50,000 hectares or 500,000,000 square meters, were expropriated without compensation. The Maltzahns were forced to flee, leaving behind all their worldly goods.

After 1990 not a few Maltzahns returned to Mecklenburg. Helmuth Freiherr (Baron) von Maltzahn, who acquired the ruined castle of Ulrichshusen, converted the property into a hotel and continues to make musical history with the old fieldstone barn: Ulrichshusen has become the main venue for the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Mecklenburg-West Pomerania Music Festival). Similarly, in 1995 Hans-Albrecht Freiherr von Maltzahn was able to buy back the manor house in Pinnow from the municipality, having leased the old family lands in Pinnow and Duckow in 1992.

Source:  www.poloclubpinnow.de, published by Mecklenburger Poloclub Pinnow e. V., Hans-Albrecht Freiherr von Maltzahn

Estates:

Ave
Basepohl
Barz
Blücherhof
Borgfeld
Brüz
Bülow, Parchim
Bülow, Teterow
Duckow
Fahrenholz
Federow
Ganschendorf
Gottesgabe
Gottin
Grammow
Grischow, Stavenhagen
Groß Helle
Großen-Luckow
Gültz
Gützkow, Stavenhagen
Ivenack
Kambs, Röbel
Kastorf
Klaber

Klein Helle
Klockow
Krönnevitz
Kruckow
Krukow
Kummerow, Malchin
Kurzen Trechow
Langhagen
Leuschentin
Mallin
Marihn
Marxhagen
Moltzow
Neddemin
Neu Panstorf
Neubr.-Fünfeichen
Peckatel
Penzlin
Pinnow, Malchin
Plötz
Prillwitz
Puchow

Remplin
Roidin
Rothenmoor
Rothspalk
Rottmannshagen
Schloss Grubenhagen
Schmarsow
Schorssow
Schossow
Sommersdorf
Stolpe, Anklam
Tarnow
Tützpatz
Ulrichshusen
Utzedel
Vanselow
Vollrathsruhe
Wodarg
Wolde
Wrodow
Zettemin
Zolkendorf